Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Happenings

We survived Halloween this year!!!  With 3 small children, I really think that is a statement worthy of a few exclamation points, right??  Last week our youth group put on a Halloween party so that was the first time the kids got to wear their costumes.  The plan was Julia-Supergirl, Sean-knight & Laura-Minnie Mouse.

So, in true me fashion, I was trying to get them ready at the last minute and Julia's costume (which was a hand-me-down from a friend last year) was too small.  She has recently gone through a warp speed growth spurt and none of her clothes fit.  I, under my new alias-Scatter Brained Mom, failed to consider the fact that she would have outgrown the costume as well as all her other stuff (if you didn't catch it, this statement is dripping with sarcasm).  Luckily, I had received a few more hand-me-down costumes for Julia this year, so Pebbles she became.  Also, lucky for me, Julia is very easy going about stuff like this.  However, she wouldn't wear the wig, so Scott pulled the bone out of the wig and I put it in her hair and it worked.  She even won the cutest costume at the party.

Sean and Laura's getting ready was not fraught with near as much drama.  Laura couldn't wait to be "Minnie Mouse Clubhouse" (as she dubbed herself).  Sean was thrilled to be "brave knight".  He picked his costume based on its accessories.  While in Target he picked out a big toy sword and told me, "Mom, I just want to be whatever I have to be to carry this sword".  He even started talking in third person.  Before I had his shoes on him he was running around his room & slipped.  He didn't realized I was listening and said "oh, the brave knight just fell"  I about fell out laughing!!

Saturday was the pumpkin patch and Scott and I barely survived it.  All I wanted was for the kids to have fun, get some good pictures & to get pumpkins.  Apparently, my expectations were WAY too lofty.  We did end up with pumpkins though.


Our Sunday night pumpkin carving could have gone a little smoother, but we got the job done,  the seeds roasted & Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin watched.  So, all in all it was a success.



Last night the kids were so awesome.  We had dinner at a friend's house and then we trick or treated with a couple of families.  All the kids had a blast.  Laura was a little trooper hanging in there for the duration.  In fact, I think she might have been able to outlast everyone.  Sean decided he was done after 10 or so houses and just declared he had had enough.









All in all, it was a very memorable Halloween.

1 comment:

  1. Great narrative about a fun Halloween! Wait, no barrette story?

    ReplyDelete