Friday, February 18, 2011

Kindle

So, I went to my wonderful hubby before V-Day and told him that I decided I wanted a Kindle.  I wanted to catch him before he bought me something sparkly.  He said we weren't going to spend a lot on Valentine's this year, but if I wanted a Kindle he would get me one.  So we go out and buy one, pick out a light & a case and there you go!  Then I got home and start playing with it and soon realized something, I had NO IDEA what I wanted to read.  Now I love to read (not quite as much as my sister, though), I mean I am a librarian for heaven's sake.  When I started thinking about what I wanted to read though, I was lost. Then it occurred to me . . .  I hadn't really been reading for myself for the past 8 years or so.

In my former life I was an elementary school teacher.  Back in 2004 I changed professions.  I got emergency certified as a school librarian and started back to school to get my Masters of Library Science.  I was also engaged that year, planned a wedding & married.  At that point, I scrapped all personal reading for school books, youth literature and wedding guides/planners.

*Side note*  I LOVE children's & young adult literature.  There are so many great kids books that adults can enjoy.  So the next time you're in a library check out the children's section.

Anyway, I was busy reading for my profession and for grad school.  Then I got pregnant in 2005, only adding baby books to my repertoire.  2006 rolls along and I changed professions again, becoming a stay-at-home mom, thus adding only child-rearing & children's books.

Since then, I have thrown a "me" book in there occasionally, a couple of bible studies & a few self-help titles.  That brings me up to last week again being totally lost in the land of the literature.  Luckily after some late night searching I bought a few books that came out during my adult reading hiatus that I wanted to read, but never did.

Now I have a new problem!  I have so many books I want to read.  And, I have to work on staying awake at night long enough to read more than a few sentences!!  

1 comment:

  1. Don't despair! You will have time to read again someday and meanwhile just hang in there, reading one or two pages at a time. Kindles are great for interrupted reading cause when you open it up again, there you are just where you left off.

    ReplyDelete