Saturday, January 21, 2012

Help in the Kitchen

Okay, so if you don't know this already I am a control FREAK!!  And I mean to the extreme.  For example, it has taken me years of cooking to release the idea of always using a recipe.  I must admit it feels nice to not be so reigned in by the recipe.

Now, though, I need to tackle the big task of allowing my kids to cook with me.  I read all these blogs about these moms who let their very little kids help them in the kitchen.  Every time I try it becomes a bad situation.  The kids just make such big messes and it stresses me to think about twice as much cleaning.

So, here is where I am starting . . . I am trying to really embrace and enjoy cleaning the kitchen.  I figure if I think of the cleaning part as me time then I might actually WANT a bigger mess.  Bigger mess = more time cleaning = more me time.  Sounds feasible, right??  :-)

My other challenge is being okay with the fact that the meal might not turn out just right with the kids helping.  This is another tough one because to think of all that work and food just wasted makes me sad.  So, I need to think of the cooking as the best part and enjoying the meal at the end is just an extra perk.  This is my new goal.

Yesterday I was making homemade french bread and Sean was just dying to get his hands on the flour and the dough.  I must admit that I nixed him playing in the flour, but I did let him knead the dough.  He loved it!  So, the bread turned out a little dense, but we still enjoyed it all the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment