Saturday, January 29, 2011

Potty Time

Recently I was inspired by an article about saving money (http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/article/parents-how-to-save-3000-a-year/492910/).  The money saving thing was nice, but it was the stats on potty training that got me.  Now I have gone through potty training with 2 of my 3 kids so far and both experiences have been very different.  Both times I said that I was going to take the slow route and just wait until they were ready.  However, my type A personality did not allow me to do that with my daughter & the whole experience was quite stressful for us both.  So, I really stuck to my guns with my son on just being patient and waiting.  See, here's the thing, the waiting until they are ready sounds so much more enjoyable to me that the pushing and fighting and forcing; and I am usually a person of force.  For the past month my son had been resisting, so I just continued to be patient until I read this article.  I don't know if I was looking for something to get me out of my slump or just ready to NOT have 2 in diapers, but I was going to get this potty thing moving come hell or high pee.

So last Monday morning I decided that my almost 3-year-old son will be potty trained and I must report that he has done wonderfully!  I am so proud of him.  All the mistakes that I made with my poor first child I made sure and didn't repeat.  For instance, I remember reading that you must let them empty the child potty into the big potty.  I never let poor J do that.  I was terrified that she would dump it all over the bathroom.  Anyway, it took him less than a day to master this task without ever spilling a drop.  I also never let poor J go by herself, I was always there to watch and make sure everything went alright.  It took 2 days before S could do it totally by himself (and he even washes his hands afterwards).  Here is my question then, was it all the little mistakes with J that made it so difficult or was it that I waited longer with S?  Guess I can truly make a determination when I potty train my 3rd.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know the answer, but you and your brother & sister were trained by the time you were 2 or 2 1/2 and don't think there was any trauma. Course Michael was almost three.

    ReplyDelete