Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas=Yummy!! :-)

I must preface this post with a disclaimer.  I am not an inventive cook, never have been.  I am a recipe-followin' fool.  In fact, I am very OCD about measuring everything to the point of ridiculousness.  In the past couple of years, though, I have discovered that as a busy mom I have to be able to punt.  I am also finally confident in my cooking/baking knowledge & abilities.  The other day I actually made up a new cake recipe (using a box mix as my base) and it was delish.  I was so thrilled.  So, you can see why I get slightly excited when I create something yummy.  I made these enchiladas yesterday, with no recipe & no measuring save the "palm of my hand" method.

Sorry for no pictures, but I am new at this blogging thing.  Take my word for it though, they looked fabulous!! 

Chicken Enchiladas
1 package boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 palmfuls cumin, coriander & mexican oregano
2 pinches cayenne (or more if you like it more spicy, I was making it for my kids who won't eat spicy)
1 can cream corn
1 lime
1 handful chopped cilantro, roughly chopped
1 lrg. can green chili sauce
1 generous spoonful cream cheese (could use sour cream, but this was all I had on hand)
shredded cheese (your choice on what kind)
18-20 corn tortillas (I simply prefer corn for enchiladas)

Salt & pepper chicken then cook over med. high heat in skillet with a small amount of canola oil.  Remove chicken to cool, then cut into bite size pieces.  In the same skillet (don't clean out & add a touch more oil, if necessary) saute onion & garlic.  Add green chilis, spices, corn & chicken.  Cook mixture 5-10 minutes on med heat until warm & flavors are set.  Remove from heat & stir in juice from lime and cilantro.  

Warm green chili sauce in saucepan.  Whisk in cream cheese until incorporated.

Warm tortillas in microwave.  Dip each in sauce (you don't want it dripping with sauce, just a little wet). Fill with 2-3 tsp. of chicken mixture & roll tightly being careful not to tear tortilla.  Place seam side down in greased baking dish.  *Repeat with all tortillas and fill pan tightly with enchiladas.  Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas & top with as much cheese as you like.  Cover with foil & bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and continue baking for additional 5-10 minutes until nice & bubbly.  

*This will probably fill a 13x9 pan, but I split it up into 3 smaller ones.  I covered with plastic wrap and then foil and placed in freezer.  I would thaw overnight in frig. and then follow baking directions.  

Enjoy!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment