Monday, November 12, 2012

Thankfulness Day 12: My Running Buddy

My father was a runner for many years until his knees just couldn't take it anymore.  He used to tell me 3 important things about running:

1) running is easy because the only equipment you need is shoes and you can do it anywhere
2) you need a buddy to keep you motivated
3) "Most people don't like to run.  I hate to run, but I like to drink beer, so I run to balance it out"

Now, I am sure there are plenty of people out there that would argue with the third point, but maybe just as many that would agree.  :-)  We all have our own reasons and motivations for exercising.  I actually do like to run, a lot!!  I like the way it makes me feel and the fact of the matter is that I am a bit of a lazy person.  By running in the mornings I feel much more accomplished for the day and I, in turn, usually accomplish more on the days I run.

I will admit, though, that I am a sporadic runner.  I started running in college, have trained for and run a half marathon, & done numerous 5 & 10Ks.  However, it's taken to this point in my life to discover that even though I can run long distances, I have no desire to do so.  I am 2-4 miles, 3-4 days a week and I'm happy kind of runner.

Recently, I was on one of my 3 to 4 month hiatuses when a good friend pushed me to start up again.  So, we did and now I'm back on again.  And my dad was definitely right about that second point, it's best to have someone else to help keep you motivated.  So, be it a virtual buddy or someone you actually run with, if you want to get out and get started, that is the way to do it!!!

Thanks to my running buddies (you know who you are), today I am thankful for you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment